What is your name (and usernames on art forums)?
– Paul Petro on facebook and fineartamerica, artman2112 on deviant art, blogspot and red bubble
Where are you from?
– originally from southern connecticut, now living in northwest vermont
How long have you been drawing?
-all my life but i really got serious about it in 1998
What got you started?
– my family mostly. one of my uncles and one of my aunts on my moms side are both artists, and my other uncle on moms side is a big time art /movie
/book/comic lover-collector who exposed me to all kinds of things while
growing up. he introduced me to frazetta and buster keaton and the flash and
n. c. wyeth and Edgard Rice Burroughs on and on and on it goes. we were always drawing things. when i got into my teens i was hell bent on being a musician so art took a back seat for a while but when i reached age 30 i found renewed interest in it.
What other types of art do you do?
– you mean besides my pictures? i like to make things out of wood, like furniture and stuff.
What sort of mediums do you use?
– graphite and colored pencil. i’ve tried watercolors with horrific results. i would love to try oil paints someday but ugh, the smell and the mess!
Are there any products you just can’t live without?
well, if i didnt have a pencil and some paper i’d be in big trouble i guess!
What is your most favorite piece you have made?
– http://fav.me/d598hyv a special picture of a very special lady
What is your least favorite piece you have made?
– http://fav.me/d4yrjm5 i hate this one, done purely as a commision and then never got paid for it. ugly character, ugly picture, just ugh!
Have you had any injuries working on your art?
-injuries happen when cutting matts and boards…sharps knife blades and that sort of thing!
What is the funniest mistake you’ve made while working on your art?
-not “funny” i guess, but i layed a very large picture that i had a ton of hours into
on the floor to take a picture of it and when i turned my back my cat
decided it looked comfy and layed down on it…when i turned around and saw
her i freaked, she bolted and left some nice deep claw lines in the board. i
nearly cried because this was the 2nd attempt at this picture and it was
very challenging at the time. i hid the marks pretty well tho, whew!
Who/What inspires you?
– all kinds of things – women, movies, music, photos, architecture, comics and of
course, other art.
What projects are you currently working on?
– some MLP pinup pictures
Do you have any odd habits while working on your projects?
– i tend to crunch up my toes when i work. a tension thing i guess
because colored pencil doesn’t erase very well so there is quite a bit of
anxiety for me when working in color…or maybe i am just high strung, i
What types of art do you enjoy?
– anything by Frank Frazetta, the great 20th century illustrators like Wyeth, Schoonover, Parrish, Rockwell etc, comic artists like Dave Stevens, Corben, Wrightson, Kaluta, the EC guys, etc, the Pre-Raphaeliteas and other Victorian era masters, pulp artists like Finlay, Bok, Schomburg etc, pinup artists like Olivia, Bolles, Armstrong, Vargas, Petty, etc, there is so much great art out there. i don’t find much joy in abstract or “modern” art though.
Do you take commissions?
– yes of course i do! my prices are quite reasonable too i think 🙂
Where can people see your work and contact you? (facebook, da, website- give
us them all)
Do you have any favorite tips or tricks?
– use grayed complimentary colors for more convincing and interesting dark values with colored pencil. plain grays and black are boring ;)!
What advice do you have for someone just starting to get into the art scene?
-practice practice practice! dont be afraid to make mistakes, good art
usually comes after or in between making lots of bad art! draw what you love
and most of all have fun with it!